SOLAS Installation and Fields of Application
The pneumatically operated sample transport system will make it possible to install SOLAS in a flexible and simple way. Normally, SOLAS will be installed in a pre-fabricated container that houses all the necessary auxiliary equipment (compressed air, filters, heating & air-conditioning, vibration protection etc.) and that is located close to the conveyor belt, the transfer points and/or crushers or chutes.
It is, of course, also possible to install SOLAS and the associated units in any other suitable rooms that may be available on site.
The only medium required is a power supply (voltage and frequency according to the local conditions). There are no restrictions as regards the types of conveyor belts employed (e.g. belts reinforced with steel) or their throughput rate. Under favourable local conditions, SOLAS will also be in a position to take samples from several conveyors simultaneously, if their transfer points are not more than 50 m away.
Immediately downstream of the excavator
- to determine the sulphur & ash contents as well as the composition of the ash
- to detect sand infiltrating the raw lignite
- to blend the raw lignite with overburden as a means of adjusting the ash content
- to control the quality predicted by geological models
- to detect quality changes which have to be taken care of quickly
Upstream of the blending yard
- to record the quality of the coal stocked in a bunker/stockyard in a file with quality data on the basis of a stockyard model; the required quality can be selected and set with the recording device and the help of the quality file.
Downstream of the blending yard
- to control the quality of the blended product leaving the stockyard.
In thermal power plants
- to avoid slag formation; SOLAS is able to calculate typical parameters, such as the acid/base ratio, the SiO2 ratio or the slagging factor.
- to optimise the control of cleaning mechanisms (such as water lance blowers) in power plants, depending on the coal quality.
- as incoming quality inspection; the blending with selected additives will make it possible to respond to quality problems, so that incidents causing extensive damage can be avoided.